Working with Innovate UK
- Working with Innovate UK
Research Councils UK have been working in close partnership with Innovate UK (formerly the Technology Strategy Board) since its establishment as a standalone organisation in 2007. We work together to enhance the role we play within the UK innovation system and to increase the value delivered for the economy through the resources we invest. Our shared goal is to deliver UK economic growth by enabling an innovative, high value, knowledge-based economy with high productivity.
Ways in which we work together include:
- Streamlining the ways in which existing businesses work with the academic community to identify, develop and implement new ideas.
- Identifying, fostering and supporting the establishment of new industries in the UK that can carry the UK’s global lead in academic research through to leadership in key global markets.
- Establishing collaborative research programmes.
- Encouraging the sharing of knowledge between the research base and industry – through people, networks, seminars and other events.
- Supporting rapid commercialisation of emerging technologies.
- Promoting business access to UK research facilities.
- Seven Catapults have been funded by Innovate UK and supported by RCUK. These are in the areas of High Value Manufacturing; Cell Therapy; Offshore Renewable Energy; Satellite Applications; Connected Digital Economy; Future Cities; and Transport Systems.
- Three new Catalysts were launched in 2014 in partnership between Innovate UK and the Research Councils with a total budget of £46 million for FY 2014/15.
- The Research Councils committed £27.7 million to collaborative research and development (CR&D) in 2013/14. An average of three times the RCUK investment is obtained in leverage from Innovate UK and other, mainly industrial, sources from CR&D.
- RCUK contributed approximately £4.3 million to Knowledge Transfer Partnerships in 2013/14.
Find out more about Innovate UK at www.gov.uk/innovateuk