Newton Fund RCUK-NRF International PhD Partnering Scheme Call
- Newton Fund
- Newton Fund RCUK-NRF International PhD Partnering Scheme Call
Research Councils UK (RCUK) and the National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF) are pleased to announce awards under the Newton Fund RCUK-NRF International PhD Partnering Scheme.
The main objectives of this call are to:
- Facilitate the development of sustainable institutional links between UK Institutions and emerging centres of research internationally.
- Foster the development of an international cohort of researchers with the skills, links and contacts to operate in the global research environment;
- Support the development of research capacity in identified research performing nations through the development of international training and development activities;
- Learn from different approaches in partner countries and access facilities, communities and environments of interest/benefit to the student research programme
- Encourage and foster the development of intellectual and joint training networks to foster long-term sustainable research collaboration addressing issues of global concern and with a strong potential for international impact;
- Establish the UK as a long-term partner of choice internationally, in particular with the new research performing nations.
Funding is available from both RCUK and NRF to support partnering activities between UK and South African Research Organisations at the PhD level. The overall indicative budget for RCUK is £1.8 million. The NRF contribution will be a maximum of R900,000 per award. UK Research Organisations must hold a RCUK DTP/CDT/DTC award in all areas in which they are applying for funding. Awards will be made to support activities over a three-year period, with a minimum of 10 PhD placements being supported by each RO award holder. The duration of each placement is expected to be 3-6 months; with flexibility to split the placement into several shorter visits.
PLEASE NOTE THIS CALL IS NOW CLOSED
Announcement of awards
11 awards have been made under this call. The Newton Fund RCUK-NRF international PhD Partnering Scheme awards are listed here .