Access Keys:



Please follow the links below to find answers to frequently asked questions regarding RCUK USA.

To learn more about the Research Councils, including what they are, what they do, and who they fund, visit here.

We help the Research Councils to form partnerships with US research funding organisations, including federal agencies and foundations, with the goal of maximizing opportunities for US and UK researchers to work together. See our web pages for further details.

There are a range of programmes with regular deadlines to support international research networks, workshops, and travel to explore collaboration. More information is available here.

No, we help the Research Councils to create these opportunities, but once launched, they are funded and managed by the Research Councils and their international collaborator.

Individual agencies’ policies vary, so please check their websites.

Most US funding organizations can provide some support for international partners on a standard application for funding. The National Science Foundation (NSF) is fairly typical: US applicants can include international components (‘subawards’) in new proposals submitted to any relevant NSF program, or request supplemental funding for projects already supported by NSF. Only direct costs can be requested. It is always best for the US PI to contact the relevant program director in advance to seek advice on how best to explain and justify it in the application. Additionally, NSF has a range of specific schemes that support international collaboration; these schemes, and a list of calls (‘solicitations’) that have a substantial international component, can be found on the website of NSF’s Office of International Science and Engineering (OISE).

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) can fund researchers anywhere in the world, as PI or Co-I. Guidance is available on the international application process. To take advantage of these opportunities, UK based researchers need to be prepared to justify why the research will benefit from being done in the UK.

Some research councils have opportunities for international co-investigators. You can find more information here:

RCUK USA promotes many opportunities for US or international co-investigators on their twitter feed @CUKUSA and LinkedIn page..

Gateway to Research is an open and free website developed by RCUK to enable users to search and analyse information about publicly funded research in the UK. Visit Gateway to Research to search for researchers funded by the Research Councils who are doing research that you might be interested in.

The UK EurAxess portal provides details for other sources of funding for international collaboration, including with the US. It covers travel to conferences, organising meetings, short research visits, fellowships etc. It can never be entirely comprehensive, but is an excellent place to start.

The RCUK USA team does not work with or process visas. Visit GOV.UK for UK visa information. UK passport holders can apply for authorization to travel to the United States for 90 days or less for business, pleasure or transit, under the Visa Waiver Program. Please check the website for details and qualifications.

Freedom of Information | Cookies and Privacy | Terms and Conditions | © Research Councils UK 2014