New Year Honours for members of the UK research and innovation community
- Press and Media
- Press Releases
- New Year Honours for members of the UK research and innovation community
Many congratulations to the various academics, researchers, innovators and staff involved with the UK Research Councils and Innovate UK who have been honoured in the 2018 New Year Honours list.
Published on December 30th, experts funded by the research councils and Innovate UK were recognised with various awards across the full range of the sciences and the humanities.
You can see longer lists of those people honoured in our community including those from:
But a few of those in the UK research and innovation community awarded honours included:
- Professor Janet Beer, Vice-Chancellor, University of Liverpool, who has worked with a number of the research councils has been made a Dame for services to Higher Education and Equality.
- Dr Tina Barsby, Chief Executive and Director of the National Institute of Agricultural Botany received an OBE for services to UK Agricultural Science and Biotechnology.
- ESRC grant holder and Professor of Politics at the University of Strathclyde John Curtice has been Knighted for services to the social sciences and politics.
- Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire was awarded to Professor Pratibha Laxman GAI Professor and Chair of Electron Microscopy at the University of York for services to Chemical Sciences and Technology.
- Professor Margaret Frame, Director of the MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine (IGMM) at the University of Edinburgh, and Science Director, Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre, was awarded an OBE for services to cancer research.
- STFC Board member, engineer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Cardiff University Professor Karen Holford has been awarded the CBE for services to Engineering and the Advancement of Women in Science and Engineering.
- An OBE has been awarded to Jo Coleman, the Strategy Director of the Innovate UK-funded Energy Technologies Institute.
- Professor Robert Stephen Sparks, CBE, Professorial Research Fellow at the University of Bristol, has been awarded a Knighthood for services to volcanology and geology.
Senior research council colleagues honoured included:
- Professor Philip Nelson, Chief Executive Officer, EPSRC, and Chair, Research Councils UK, awarded a CBE for services to UK engineering and science.
- STFC Chief Executive Dr Brian Bowsher has been awarded can OBE for his contribution to national and international metrology.
- Hilary Reynolds, former Executive Director of RCUK, has been awarded a CBE for 'services to Policy and Research’.
In addition to the academic experts, MRC employee Joan Flynn, lately Senior Receptionist, MRC Head Office, has been awarded a BEM for services to the MRC and Maureen Smith, Operations Manager for the NERC research aircraft, the Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (FAAM), has been awarded a BEM for services to atmospheric science and meteorology.
- ends -
RCUK Communications Team
Tel: 01793 444067 or email: email@example.com