RCUK Impact Report 2014
- Publications and Resources
- RCUK Reports
- RCUK Impact Report 2014
The RCUK Impact Report 2014 demonstrates how the Research Councils have worked together to achieve greater impact for the research, training and innovation they support.
The report complements the impact reports prepared by the individual Research Councils and highlights the ways in which RCUK adds value to their activities. It also looks forward to activities we are undertaking now that will have impact in the future, with details of some exciting developments for 2015.
Highlights in the report include:
- celebrating 30 years of engaging with Europe through the UK Research Office (UKRO), which has been instrumental in helping researchers to leverage EU funding. This ensures that UK researchers have access to flexible funding opportunities, the best facilities and infrastructure, and comprehensive training and career support
- continuing to support embedding public engagement in the higher education sector via the Public Engagement with Research Catalysts. This helps ensure that researchers are recognised for their public engagement and that the work of universities and research institutes is relevant to society and wider social concerns
- delivering a single, harmonised system for collecting research outcomes to facilitate exploitation by businesses, the public and other researchers to deliver impact
- leading the way on Open Access to research outputs to improve connections between research and innovation in policy, services, and economic growth and thus increase the returns on the investments made in research
- our work with Innovate UK to develop our partnership, recognising the many benefits of working together beyond joint funding, to strengthen the UK research and innovation system
- examining the impact of doctoral careers in depth, confirming the crucial role doctoral graduates play in delivering innovation and impact for UK business
- the publication of Research & Business: a productive partnership, which demonstrates the commitment and value of the Research Councils and business working together to maximise impact.
Looking forward, we will be fostering a closer relationship with Innovate UK, progressing new and original ways of working together in order to accelerate the uptake of research for innovation and growth. The Research Councils will also be continuing to work to improve engagement between higher education institutions and Catapults to maximise the impact of funded research. We will continue to develop closer working across the Research Councils and have committed to undertake a review of the funding of both multidisciplinary research and the Cross Council Themes. This will help address barriers to innovation at discipline boundaries, and ensure that we are responsive and agile in responding to emerging priorities and challenges.
Individual Research Council Impact Reports can be accessed through the following links: