Research Councils have a responsibility to demonstrate the value and impact of the research we fund. RCUK uses the information researchers provide to report on the outputs, outcomes and impact of research to both the Government and the public.
By collecting the outputs, outcomes and impact of research it enables RCUK to:
- provide a strong evidence base to support the continued funding of research in the UK
- improve the quality of reporting research outcomes to Government, the public and other organisations
- maintain a longer-term relationship with grant holders to capture new developments and impacts from research long after a grant has finished
- open up communication with researchers and Research Organisations to offer new opportunities to explore how best to capture the results of research funding
- to improve information and reporting on research outcomes by having common reporting systems.
We ask researchers and/or institutions to submit information about their research using two online systems: Research Outcomes Systems (ROS) and ResearchFish (formerly e-Val).
ROS is currently used by AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, and ESRC, and from January 2013, the system will also be used by NERC. ResearchFish is used by MRC and STFC as well as other funding organisations such as medical charities and health research funders.
Gateway to Research
Researchers will not need to submit information to Gateway to Research – the information they already upload to ROS and/or ResearchFish will feed into Gateway to Research.
Read more about the Gateway to Research.