LARCI is working with a range of partners in Scotland including the
Scottish Funding Council (SFC) and
LARIA in Scotland to help build capacity within local government in Scotland.
Our work follows two main strands:
- Engaging with Scottish Local Authorities scheme
- Working with the Scottish Government and partners.
LARCI has also funded two LARCI placement fellowships in Scotland, available
There are also two representatives from Scotland on the LARCI Strategic Board,
available to view
Engaging with Scottish Local Authorities
The ‘Engaging with Scottish Local Authorities’ scheme aims to promote knowledge
exchange between universities and local authorities in Scotland, and to develop
research-informed evidence relating to the needs and practices of local governments.
For more information about the scheme view
For a list of individual project awards made under this scheme
Working with the Scottish Government and Partners
To facilitate and extend LARCI’s work into Scotland, the Scottish Funding Council,,
the Scottish Government and LARCI are working together on a range of activities
which are helping to build research capacity within Scottish local authorities.
High quality academic research has a critical role to play in supporting analytical
activity in central and local government, for policy-development and service-implementation
and evaluation which will help Scotland meet its aspirations. LARCI, the UK research
councils and the Scottish Funding Council have key roles to play in working with
government partners to mobilise that evidence and support knowledge exchange between
government and higher education, especially at a time when public finances are under
For more information about the Scottish Government National Performance Framework
LARCI and the Scottish Government are working together, with other
partners in Scotland, including the local government Improvement Service, COSLA
and LARIA on a range of activities to support research activity in local authorities
across Scotland. Examples of this work, which are planned or underway, include:
- Training and networking events for local government analysts from across
- Seminars to share expertise and discussion on key topics for local government.
- Showcase events and materials to illustrate good practice in joint working
between central and local government analysts and academics.
- Promotion and dissemination of academic expertise for the effective delivery
of services, including working with the Scottish Funding Council and with the
Scottish Government to improve knowledge transfer from research activity in
- Enabling collaboration with professional associations such as the Social
Research Association, LARIA, Royal Statistical Society, Government Social Research
and the Market Research Society to explore effective ways of sharing training,
information and resources.
Much of this work is led by social researchers and statisticians in the Scottish
Government, including a team in the SG’s Office of the Chief Researcher which provides
direct liaison with LARCI and is led by Sue Northorp, Senior Principal Research
Officer, who is also a member of the LARCI Strategic Board.
For a list of supported events view
- LARCI/NERC/SAGES Science Seminar, date tbc
- Migration and Demography Seminar, date tbc
- SFC/SG/ESRC/LARCI Knowledge Exchange Scheme Showcase Event, date tbc
Events supported under the LARCI in Scotland programme
- Systematic Reviews and Policy Transfer for Scotland, Edinburgh, 16th March
- Making Best Use of Existing Evidence – Training Day, 16th March 2010
- Scotland’s Youth Commission on Alcohol, Edinburgh, 16 March 2010
- Rural Community Empowerment in the 21st Century, Perth, 25th March